Tuesday, May 15, 2007, posted by WoW Fan at 12:29 AM
The Bloodmaul ogres of the Blade's Edge mountains might seem like your everyday, average quest mobs, content to sit or stand around drinking their home-brewed beer until adventurers out of Toshley's Station or Thunderlord Stronghold wander in to get a move on their assorted chain, but these ogres have a terrible secret.

No, the secret isn't that they have the severed talking head of a murdered troll witch-doctor half-buried outside their outpost. That's public knowledge. The secret which these red-skinned ogres possess is this:

Formula: Enchant Bracer - Spellpower
Binds when picked up
Requires Enchanting (360)
Use: Teaches you how to permanently enchant a bracer to increase damage done by spells by up to 15.

As you would expect, this is a powerful and widely coveted magic spell, but the ogres, for the most part, keep it secret and they keep it safe. Any adventurer can turn to the trusted sages of Thottbot and find that between .5% and 1% of the Bloodmaul Geomancers fail to keep the formula secret or safe, but those facts are misleading!

You see, the Bloodmaul Geomancers, who are two-headed and staff-wielding, appear to share their points of origin, or "spawn points," as it were, with their one-headed and club-wielding cousins, the Bloodmaul Skirmishers. In fact, the Skirmishers are substantially more common; I'd put them at twice the spawn rate of the Geomancers.

Therefore, when you kill a Bloodmaul Skirmisher or Geomancer, there's about a 67% chance that a Skirmisher will respawn, and only about a 33% chance that the desired Geomancer will show up.

Thus, while it might seem attractive to fly over the canyon and strategically pick off the Geomancers, doing so will most likely simply cause the area to fill up with Skirmishers well before the formula drops.

The responsible thing to do is to simply grind all of the skirmisher and geomancer ogres in your path. You can avoid the brewmasters, the worgs, and the named ogre in the tower; they all have set spawn points and will not interfere with your grind if you miss them. The guards in front of the outpost are also static-spawn skirmishers, and you can skip them.

Please note:
While these are quest mobs and adventurers not interested in the formula do go there, keep in mind that if there's another player in the area for a long period of time, he or she is probably trying for the same thing that you are; while it is most likely tempting for you to revert to just ambushing the Geomancers, please note that you will be depriving them of chances to score the enchant, and they will stop grinding when they realize that you're populating the area with nigh-useless skirmishers. Please be courteous of your fellow gamers; not everything in the game is put there solely for your benefit!


It took me 9 hours yesterday to farm up this enchantment, but I had to deal with other players taking advantage of my responsible farming, so it should not take that long for others in the future if everyone follows these instructions. The ogres have quite a bit of Netherweave and green item drops as well. I even picked up the Bracers of Havoc blue tailoring pattern while I was there!

Happy Hunting Fellas!



Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels: , , , ,

 
4 Comments:


At May 16, 2007 at 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Flew there, dropped in on 2' one of which dropped the enchant :)

 

At May 16, 2007 at 11:12 PM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

Whoa... you lucky fella!

 

At February 17, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Blogger Horshaak

Thanks for informations. I'll start grinding that right away ;)

 

At June 19, 2008 at 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

I grinded for like 4-6 hours before it dropped, so be patient...